This page was last updated on .
New article: Getting started with the Common Lisp HyperSpec™.
These links currently point at the version of the page in the master branch, which in practice is the same as the version on the site, since I always push to github right after pushing to the site. However, this is not ideal for perusal of older, "historic" versions of the site. Platonically, I guess it would be better to do a bit of automated post-processing at deployment time to point at the exact version of the page the link was followed from.
New article: "Notes and tips: Standard Common Lisp symbols".
I didn't publish this before because I have a much bigger vision for it, but I finally realized that not publishing it in its current state is outright irresponsible, because there's already so much useful information in there.
(Way overdue status report. Sorry! Also this is probably not well-written.)
2013 is pretty easy to summarize: I worked on my website. That's pretty much it.
At the start of 2013, my site didn't have much content at all and was really ugly. Whereas now, in the beginning of 2014 there's quite a bit more content (though not quite enough for my tastes) and everything is much better structured and presented (I'm fairly satisfied on that front, though it could use some improvements).
From March 1st 2013 to April 30th 2013 (exactly 2 months) I worked on my website every day, incidentally getting a 61 days streak on github. That was quite a nice run. The first thing I did is dig up the HTML and CSS from my old "BahagonTools" mega-project. It was a "manual import of templates", one might call it. That instantly boosted the visual presentation of the site. And then I made a series of restructurations of content, notably I organized my 15 ready-to-use libraries in categories.
The second big thing I did in 2013 was working on my "Notes and Tips: Standard Common Lisp symbols" mega-"article" from july to december. I have a really big vision for it and I'm quite convinced this will be a masterpiece. For now it's already pretty nice but still incomplete. It's not published yet but if you want to go look at it from the notes-tips-cl-symbols branch I can't stop you.
I stopped working on my mega-article for now, because if I want to realize my vision for it without going completely insane I'll have to have support from my old web framework, and to have that I have to get back to Actual Programming™, which is what I wanted to do anyway because I don't really feel like I'm living if I'm not spending a sizeable portion of my time programming.
On the non-productive front, in 2013 I played way too much Bombermine, especially in december and in the first part of january, that was pretty much the only thing I was doing and that was obviously unsustainable, so I had to put a drastic end to that. I'm a bipolar and tend to do things either intensively or not at all, so I dropped Bombermine completely and on january 22 I made a strong public commitment not to play it again until January 1st 2015 at the earliest. So that takes care of that.
(There's a bit more to my bombermine story, but it's no longer particularly relevant so I won't recount it, at least for now.)
In 2013 I started implementing my "worknotes" strategy for being able to efficiently work on multiple projects "at the same time" (in a similar fashion to how operating systems execute multiple programs "at the same time") without getting lost.
In 2014 I started by synchronizing my worknotes, my github repos and my local repos. This was a somewhat painful process which wasn't aided by the fact that I had a hard disk crash the first time I tried to do it. (The hard disk was 10+ years old so the crash was way overdue.) Various delays ensued and I had some morale problems, in part because getting back to Actual Programming™ after such a long time (8 months?) was a bit scary. Getting back to working on dozens of interrelated projects you don't remember the details of can be a bit intimidating. Fortunately this time around I have the worknotes weapon.
I'm still not quite disciplined enough to write down each and every work item before I actually do the work item, but I've made some progress. Some emacs support for worknotes would definitely help, and before someone suggests it, no, I don't have time to check org-mode and anyway NIH.
I'm already exhausted from writing all the above and I'm otherwise tired, so I'll cut this short. 2014 will be one hell of a year for me, things are really coming together this time, I think. I've been thinking that for many years in a row but whatever.
I expect to finish many new libraries in 2014. Several of those are quite important to me and will result in my adopting a new Common Lisp style, which will be not quite as conservative as the one I've been using until now, but I'm sure it will be for the best.
One thing I wanted to do in May 2013 was "significantly expand the actual content of [my library pages], such that all my ready-to-use libraries are comprehensively documented", but really that should happen after I'm done reviving my old web framework or well, at least hextml (which will be renamed to hexstream-html).
On the Stream Lisp front, I'll definitely at least make a big messy braindump for it in 2014. I think I have so many of the right answers in my head and I'm tired of seeing people (apparently) get things wrong regarding the future of Lisp.
So, that's it for now I guess. I really think I'll turn things around this year.